Friday, March 11, 2011

Friendship

Ever since I was young, I can remember always being a very eager to please person. I always wanted everyone to be my friend, and I would do almost anything to keep them. Even the ones that treated me terribly...
           As i've grown older, I have realized that, unfortunately you go through a few cycles of friends. First, when you get married, when you have children; and then of course when you move a couple times. You find out very quickly who will keep in touch and who won't. 
 I have a handful of friends in my arsenal, that I know that I can call on for anything. Each one of them has helped me grow into who I am, and who I want to be. 
         I have also realized that it's the little things that count the most-it may sound cliche'-but whether it's a note in the mail saying hello, or gift card for a coffee, or the fact that you can stay on the phone for hours. Sometimes, not even talking to one another; almost like you were in the same room, what a comfort that is. 
       Over the last two years, I have learned a lot about myself and about my relationship with my husband. Since we have been off base, I haven't had a lot of friends-whether that means the friends you can run to for a cup of sugar, or someone to tell your secrets to. 
  I have learned that my husband is truly one of my best friends, I never saw him as such before. Which is where some of our problems started. I have learned to lean on him more, to trust that even if I don't have anyone else around, he is just what I need. I love having him around, now that's not to say we get irritated with one another. It would be too artificial if we didn't! :) 
   I think one of the reasons I want to live off base at our next duty station, is because I enjoy our time together. I enjoy when he comes home, we all hang out together-we don't have people around constantly. I know that it is going to be a bit different when we move, and I want it to be. I want us to have people around, but I also want us to still be around one another; enjoying each others' company. 





      My beautiful, kind friend Sarah posted a video on her blog the other day. It was about God, and how He is always there for us. No matter what. If you are away from Him for a time, decided to come back-He is there. No questions asked. 
                I was very apprehensive about going to church with Tj when we got married. He is Catholic, and I was raised in the Methodist church. Everything, and I mean everything was different. It was the fear of the unknown-but once I was allowed to see for myself, and make my own decisions-I realized that I needed God in my life. 
          I am so thankful to Him for strengthening my marriage, my love for my children, and of course my beautiful friends. 
                I have been trying to pray at nighttime before bed. I used to find it difficult to pray-we never used to pray growing up, at least before bed. I always wondered, how do you pray? Is it ok to ask for help on an exam? To make you a better mom, cook, wife? Is it selfish to ask for things for yourself? Even if it's money, maybe going down a few pant sizes? 
 I've always felt a bit uneasy speaking to God-but each time I find it easier and easier. 

  All of my friends believe in God, and know God. My relationship is growing with Him, and with my beautiful group of friends, I think it will only grow stronger. 

 I love you all, I am thankful for you all-I pray for you all every night. I thank God for you every night. For making me a better person, for making me believe in myself. I can only hope that I am as good of a friend to you, as you are to me. 

Love,
Sam

2 comments:

  1. Sam, This is very touching. You are one special lady...And if I do say so myself your blog is looking pretty spiffy too. You know I love the brown. As far as praying #1 I think you are doing awesome & #2 It's not selfish to ask God for things. He wants to know, really... I find a good guideline to follow is “ACTS” – Adoration, Contrition, Thanksgiving, Supplication. We praise him, ask for forgiveness, give thanks for all he has done, and ask for whatever we need(even if its to lose a few pants sizes:) I believe praying is as simple as talking. And while we should be respectful I don't think God cares about big fancy word--He looks on the heart. Prayer can be a scary, intmidating word imo. Don't be, just keep doing what you are doing. Guess what, this post is encouraging to be, as I am trying to grow in my prayer life too. Sam, Thanks for your friendship!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, Sam girl...I didn't know you had a blog! go us!!!

    Thank you for your sweet comments on my blog. Means a lot.

    This post was touching. I have very similar feelings. I too am have become closer to my hubby. I would even say he too is my BFF. And about God, well...I have had some away times, but have learned the hard way that I am nothing without HIM and will always fail without HIM.

    Oh and I just saw your friend Sarah's comment...I learned the "ACTS" way of praying while we were in Monterey.

    Hope to see you this week...my mil leaves next tue. Oh wanna meet at Chic fil a tomorrow? Say, noon? lmk

    ReplyDelete